Sunday, March 4, 2012

Back to Bloggin'

Long time, no blog. Where have I been??? I'm sure some of you are wondering and others have just forgotten about the blog, I have not stopped cooking that is definitely still a passion and hobby for me. Unfortunately, photography and writing are not. So I will try my hardest to get back to it on a much more regular basis. 

Blah, Blah, Blah...

Let's get this thing going!!!!

While out and about in Berkeley one day we ran across a yard sale where I picked up a new cookbook. I love getting used cookbooks because I like to see the recipes that were dogeared by the original owner. I've even gotten one that was flagged with post-it notes that said things like "yummy" and "Must Try". The weather here is always so nice there are yard sales everywhere all the time. I probably stop by one at least every two weeks where I always check for cookbooks:)

This recipe comes from 

THE PHILOSOPHER'S KITCHEN : Recipes from Ancient Greece and Rome for the Modern Cook


Etruscan Focaccia

Ingredients:

1 package dry yeast 
2 tablespoons honey
2 cups all purpose flour (and a bit more for dusting your work surface)
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons salt 
Cornmeal for dusting the pan
1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary 
1 tablespoon course sea salt 

Directions:

Mix the yeast, honey and one cup of warm water into a small bowl until the yeast dissolves.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and the salt. Slowly add in the yeast mixture, a little at a time, combine with fork or electric mixer.
Lightly flour your hands and work surface, and knead the dough.
Add more flour or water to keep the dough from sticking.
Knead for 5 minutes.
Place dough in lightly greased bowl, poke it a few times with a knife and cover and allow it to rise in warm dry place for about and hour.
Knead the dough again and divide in half. (this recipe makes 2 loaves)
Take each half and make into a rectangle about 4-5 inches by 8-10 inches.
Place rectangles on cornmeal dusted baking sheet.
Mix rosemary with the one tablespoon of remaining oil, spread over focaccia and press the herbs in with your fingers. (I added golden raisins to one of the loaves it was nice)


Heat oven to 500ยบ
Bake until golden brown about 15 minutes.
Drizzle with the last tablespoon of oil and sprinkle with coarse salt.

I must say it was pretty tasty!! Nothing like Perbacco's Focaccia in San Francisco but it was homemade and that makes it delicious to me. It was served as a side item to the amazing Buffalo Meat Chili I made when Matthew had a few dudes over one night.


OK! On to the next recipe. :)



 Pan Seared Salmon with Potato, Leek and Mushroom Hash with Dill and Gorgonzola

This recipe turned into our breakfast the next morning. Read further to find out how :)

Ingredients:

2 filets of Salmon
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 potatoes cubed
2 leeks washed and chopped 
2 cups fresh wild mushrooms roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
5 tablespoons dried dill
1 ounce crumbled gorgonzola cheese

Salmon Directions:
So I have a seared salmon recipe that has previously been posted. I prepared this salmon close to that same way. The only difference was this time I used olive oil for the searing. Click here for the directions on preparation.

Hash Directions: 
Add 2 tablespoons of oil to cast iron skillet heat to med high.  Add potatoes and cook for about 8 minutes do not cook all the way through. Add leeks and cook until those begin to soften about 5-7 more minutes. Once potatoes and leeks are almost cooked add mushrooms and garlic. Cook for another few minutes until mushrooms are cooked and garlic is becoming fragrant. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with dill and gorgonzola cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Plate and serve.


Now remember just a moment ago when I said we had this for breakfast the next day???? 
Remember a while back when I made "The Egg Thing"????

For some strange reason Matthew and I did not clean our plates this particular evening and there were some leftovers, about half a filet of Salmon and maybe two cups or so of the hash.

I made "THE EGG THING", omitted the cheese and Rosemary Ham and added the leftovers instead. It was AWESOME!!! I felt a little like Sandra Lee having a "round two recipe". LOL

The Egg Thing Round Two




 Alright my friends. That is it for now :) I promise I will be back on a more regular posting schedule and I also promise I will find the scone recipe I mentioned I would share with you a million years ago.

I Lacy do solemnly swear to blog regularly :)

2 comments:

  1. The salmon & hash looks amazing! I will definitely be trying this one, lady!

    ReplyDelete